U.S. Government Asks Vaccine Makers To Hold Filing for Authorization Until They Have Enough Doses to Distribute

President Trump Makes Statement On Vaccine Development
President Trump Makes Statement On Vaccine Development

Moncef Slaoui, head of the White House’s “Operation Warp Speed” project to develop a coronavirus vaccine, listens to U.S. President Donald Trump deliversremarks about vaccine development in the Rose Garden of the White House on May 15, 2020 in Washington, DC. Credit – Drew Angerer—Getty Images

As the COVID-19 pandemic enters its 10th month, the pressure to develop an effective vaccine, or vaccines, continues to mount. Speaking at the Johns Hopkins University and University of Washington Vaccine Symposium online, Dr. Moncef Slaoui, scientific head of Operation Warp Speed—the government organization funding and supporting development and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines—provided the latest updates on when a vaccine (and how many doses) might be available in coming months.

Perhaps most strikingly, Slaoui said that the government has told vaccine manufacturers not to seek authorization of their drugs from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) until

Read More

Vaccine expert and whistleblower Rick Bright resigns from federal government

Vaccine expert and whistleblower Rick Bright on Tuesday resigned from the federal government, his attorneys announced in a statement. Earlier this year, Bright was removed from a top position at the Department of Health and Human Services. 

Bright, a high-ranking scientist, has said the Trump administration’s response to the coronavirus pandemic has been slow and chaotic, prioritizing politics over science. Bright earlier this year filed a whistleblower complaint running over 300 pages.

Now, Bright has submitted his resignation to the National Institutes of Health effective immediately and has filed an updated complaint with the Office of Special Counsel alleging constructive discharge based on the failure of NIH leadership to assign him meaningful work, according to Bright’s lawyers.

“Dr. Bright was forced to leave his position at NIH because he can no longer sit idly by and work for an administration that ignores scientific expertise, overrules public health guidance and disrespects

Read More

Whistle-Blowing Scientist Quits Government With Final Broadside

WASHINGTON — Rick Bright, a senior vaccine scientist who said he was demoted this spring for complaining about “cronyism” and political interference in science, resigned his final government post on Tuesday, saying he had been sidelined and left with nothing to do.

In a new addendum to the whistle-blower complaint he filed in May, Dr. Bright’s lawyers say officials at the National Institutes of Health, where he worked after his demotion, rejected his idea for a national coronavirus testing strategy “because of political considerations.” He also accused them of ignoring his request to join the $10 billion effort to fast-track a coronavirus vaccine, known as Operation Warp Speed.

“I long to serve the American people by using my skills to fight this pandemic,” Dr. Bright wrote on Sept. 25 to Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the institutes, noting that he had 25 years of experience in vaccine development. “The

Read More

Morrison government to spend $1.6bn funding at-home care for older Australians

Video: Public sector workers ‘very frustrated’ over 0.3 per cent pay increase: Unions NSW (Sky News Australia)

Public sector workers ‘very frustrated’ over 0.3 per cent pay increase: Unions NSW

UP NEXT

UP NEXT

The Morrison government says it will fund 23,000 new packages for older Australians waiting to receive at home care, at a cost of $1.6bn.



a person sitting on a bed: Photograph: Yui Mok/PA


© Provided by The Guardian
Photograph: Yui Mok/PA

Tuesday’s budget increases the number of approved home care packages available over the next four years in response to both the aged care royal commission and the Covid-19 pandemic.

The interim report of the royal commission found the government needed to act urgently to reduce waiting times for older Australians seeking in-home support.

For the past two years, more than 100,000 Australians have been on wait lists for approved home care packages, with tens of thousands entering residential care prematurely as a result.

Read More

U.S. government tried to “intimidate” California county health department to keep poultry plant open after COVID deaths, director says

There have reportedly been tens of thousands of coronavirus cases at meat and poultry plants. More than 44,000 workers nationwide have tested positive for the virus, and more than 200 have died, according to the Food & Environment Reporting Network, an investigative nonprofit.

In late April, President Trump issued an executive order urging plants to stay open. Since then, CBS News has only been able to identify a couple of plants that were temporarily closed by government agencies due to COVID-19 outbreaks. One is the Foster Farms poultry plant in California’s Merced County.

Despite what it says was political pressure, the small county’s health department closed down the plant in Livingston for one week due to a COVID-19 outbreak that claimed some workers’ lives. 

One of those workers was Perla Meza’s 61-year-old father Filiberto, who she says worked unloading trucks at Foster Farms for years until he came down with

Read More

Third wave of coronavirus ‘entirely possible’, government advisor warns

The UK went into lockdown for the first time in March. (PA)
The UK went into lockdown for the first time in March. (PA)

One of the government’s scientific advisors has warned that a third wave of coronavirus in the UK is “entirely possible” if no vaccine is found.

Professor Mark Woolhouse, from the University of Edinburgh, said the current strategy of stopping flare-ups with lockdowns was failing to solve the problem “in the long-term”.

Woolhouse, who sits on the government’s advisory body that models pandemics, said a vaccine needed to be found to provide a lasting solution to the pandemic.

“The government’s strategy is to sit this out for the next six months, that’s what we’re told,” he told the BBC’s The Andrew Marr Show on Sunday.

People walk along Oxford Street while while wearing face masks. (PA)
People walk along Oxford Street while while wearing face masks. (PA)

“And implicitly in that the expectation is that after six months something will be different. And the obvious something is for there to

Read More

Sage advisor warns government ‘current restrictions do not go far enough’

Prime Minister Boris Johnson scans his NHS Coronavirus App at Uxbridge Library earlier this week. (PA)
Prime Minister Boris Johnson scans his NHS Coronavirus App at Uxbridge Library earlier this week. (PA)

One of the government’s top scientific advisers has warned that the current social distancing measures aren’t enough to halt a second wave of coronavirus.

Sir Jeremy Farrar, a member of the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), said the government had been “too slow” to act in the initial stages of the pandemic.

He added that the recent decision to impose a 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants “do not go far enough to reduce transmission”.

“It is for politicians to make these very tough decisions, but public trust, confidence and understanding are critical to effective public health – and at the moment that trust is fragile and fracturing,” Sir Jeremy wrote in The Times.

Sir Jeremy Farrar criticised the government's response. (Getty)
Sir Jeremy Farrar criticised the government’s response. (Getty)

“These will be difficult months for us all. It is

Read More

Dad hits out at government after wife’s chemotherapy was stopped

Andy Jenkinson says the government has "pushed aside" cancer patients amid the focus on COVID-19. (Andy Jenkinson)
Andy Jenkinson says the government has “pushed aside” cancer patients amid the focus on COVID-19. (Andy Jenkinson)

A father-of-four has hit out at the government for “pushing aside” cancer patients after his wife’s brain cancer spread when her chemotherapy was stopped during the coronavirus lockdown.

Andy Jenkinson said having life-saving treatment stopped for several months had handed a “death sentence” to some patients.

The 33-year-old, from Bury, Greater Manchester, spoke out after his wife Emma, 31, was told that her brain cancer had spread after her chemotherapy was stopped during lockdown.

He is now working to raise awareness of the issue and says he has been contacted by hundreds of people in similar situations.

Earlier this year, research suggested that almost 18,000 more people would die from cancer over the following 12 months in England because of the impact of COVID-19.

Read More