Trump Tests Positive; Gilead Sells Remdesivir Direct; COVID Kills Pain?

Note that some links may require registration or subscription.

President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump announced they both tested positive for COVID-19 and are currently quarantining together. (MedPage Today)

Trump’s announcement on Twitter came just a few hours after one of his closest aides, Hope Hicks, tested positive as well. (Bloomberg)

However, Vice President Mike Pence and his wife Karen tested negative this morning, the VP’s press secretary tweeted.

This comes after 25 states saw a rise in cases in just the past week. (Axios)

As of 8:00 a.m. ET Friday, the unofficial U.S. COVID-19 toll stood at 7,279,065 cases and 207,816 deaths — up 44,808 and 853, respectively, in the past 24 hours.

Things are heating up over in Europe too, as Italy experienced more than 2,000 cases in 24 hours for the first time since the end of April. (

Read More

Texas officials say it could take 2-3 months to make water safe after brain-eating amoeba kills 6-year-old

Texas officials on Tuesday said it could take two to three months to disinfect the water in Lake Jackson after a brain-eating amoeba killed a 6-year-old. Officials stressed, however, that becoming infected with the amoeba is rare.

“The path forward for the citizens of Lake Jackson is not going to be one that’s short,” Texas Commission on Environmental Quality executive director Toby Baker said at a press conference. “We have to get through the boil water first, which could take two to three weeks, after that we have to get chlorine levels to a state that can burn the entire system, scour the system, and kill the amoebas. That could take up to an additional 60 days.”

Baker added that the CDC has said it will test the city’s water once the process is complete to make sure it’s safe. He also said agencies will check to make sure

Read More

‘Brain-eating’ amoeba in Texas city’s water supply kills 6-year-old

A “brain-eating” amoeba has been found in the water supply of a Texas city where a 6-year-old boy recently died from an infection with the organism, according to news reports.

The boy, Josiah McIntyre, who lived in Lake Jackson, a city near Houston, Texas, died on Sept. 8 of a rare infection with the amoeba, known as Naegleria fowleri, according to NBC News. Naegleria fowleri is naturally found in warm freshwater, such as lakes and rivers, and people usually become infected after swimming or diving in bodies of contaminated freshwater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Infections, which are rare, happen when contaminated water goes up the nose — you cannot become infected from swallowing contaminated water, the CDC says.

Josiah’s family said he may have been exposed to Naegleria fowleri from either their home’s water hose, or a city “splash pad,” where

Read More