Boil-water notice lifted from Texas city where microbe found

LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) — A boil-water notice was lifted Tuesday from the drinking-water system of a Houston-area city where water tainted with a deadly, microscopic parasite was blamed for the death of a 6-year-old boy.

In a statement, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality said Lake Jackson officials lifted the notice Tuesday after disinfectant levels in the drinking water were documented to be above the state requirements. Also, water samples tested negative for harmful bacteria.

However, the TCEQ urged users of Lake Jackson’s water to avoid getting it up their noses to reduce the risk of infection by the brain-eating microbe naegleria fowleri.


The boil-water notice was issued late last month after several days of flushing of the Brazosport Water Authority’s water delivery system. The flushing was ordered after three of 11 samples of the Lake Jackson’s water tested positive for the deadly flagellate.

One sample came from the

Read More

Deadly microbe water warning lifted for final Texas city

LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) — Environmental officials in Texas have lifted a warning for a final Houston-area community to stop using tap water because it might be tainted with a deadly brain-eating microbe, but with a warning that the water should be boiled before being consumed.



A staff opens a tap at the canteen of the new Central Government Offices at Tamar. Traces of bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease were founded in water samples taken from several places in the new Central Government Offices and the Legislative Council Complex at Tamar, including the Chief Executive's office. The bacteria was first discovered in the private washroom of Michael Suen Ming-yeung, Secretary for Education. Suen was discharged from hospital last week after catching the disease. 03JAN12 (Photo by Felix Wong/South China Morning Post via Getty Images)


© Getty
A staff opens a tap at the canteen of the new Central Government Offices at Tamar. Traces of bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease were founded in water samples taken from several places in the new Central Government Offices and the Legislative Council Complex at Tamar, including the Chief Executive’s office. The bacteria was first discovered in the private washroom of Michael Suen Ming-yeung, Secretary for Education. Suen was discharged from hospital last week after catching the disease. 03JAN12 (Photo by Felix Wong/South China Morning Post via Getty Images)

Earlier this month, 6-year-old Josh McIntyre died after contracting the microbe, naegleria fowleri.

Read More

Deadly microbe water warning lifted for all but 1 Texas city

Updated


LAKE JACKSON, Texas (AP) — Texas officials on Saturday lifted a warning for all but one Houston-area community to stop

Read More